Custom Search

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The tough journey begins with my first hemodialysis

Entering the operating room, I was greeted with a smile by the anesthesiologist (in another operation which has not yet started) and it was a good start for the day especially that I was quite nervous knowing that my blood vessels are small from the previous attempt to make an AV fistula in my arm.

I was in the OR for a procedure to create an access for hemodialysis in the internal jugular vein. It helped that I saw some familiar faces and that my wife was around. As the operation started, I was in a Trendelenburg position with my body laid flat on the back and my feet higher than the head like a volunteer for a magic show. Perhaps I indeed need some magic working for me as my veins are quite "challenging". True enough, there was some difficulty in inserting the catheter but thankfully it was resolved. If you ask if it is painful, I can say what I felt more was the discomfort of having something somewhat pierced to your neck than the pain. I felt like a cyborg with a line for refueling.

Anyway, below is the pic of me after the procedure.

Immediately after the procedure (with this look), I went to the administration office of my employer to take care of some PhilHealth requirements for transplant. Unfortunately, I wasn't still able to get a certain signed document I was requesting. (I hope they realize the urgency of the situation so please help me pray for that.)

Later in the afternoon, I reported to the hemodialysis center. I always wondered what is inside and how does it feel to be in a dialysis center. I do not know if it was luck or what but the in-house physician happened to be an alumnus of my college before and we have common acquaintances so the conversation with her and the center's senior nurse helped eased my feelings towards going to the dialysis.

Inside I met the other hemodialysis patients. I still consider myself lucky that I can still walk around relatively "healthier" than most inside. I thank God that my kidneys still have some function left and I can still urinate. I have read all about dysequilibrium syndrome and some possible side effects of dialysis and I thank God I did not experience those during and after the dialysis.

I noticed there was a TV in the ceiling for patients to watch. Mine was showing HBO. But being the social media enthusiast that I am, the first thing I asked was, "What's the wifi password?" The staff did not know. However I was still able to access the net somehow without a password so I did some "camwhoring". Hehe. I will just post one photo here. Yup that's me smiling.

My first session was just 2 hours but even 2 hours is quite long for a newbie like me. I just tinkered with my phone playing fruit ninja and answering messages on facebook. And before I know it, the 2 hour session was over. 0.4 kg was taken from my original weight and I am due after a day of no dialysis for my second session this Thursday. This time it will be 3 hours.

Meanwhile I am going to go back to my employer again later for the PhilHealth requirement which I really need and which I hope they will already give. Then visit my urosurgeon for the next challenge -- bilateral nephrectomy early February.

Please do pray for me. Any form of help is really appreciated. (And my paypal donate button is still around in this blog.)

Till next time. And thank you for the overwhelming messages of support and prayers in Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts with Thumbnails